Prague metro napping tips: a brief dialogue between me and Jitka C

For those of you tuning in for the first time, Jitka C is the most excellent editor of the book I’m translating – a project that has been so consuming that I’ve resorted to copying and pasting (with errors intact) part of an online chat session that ended about five minutes ago.

Jitka C says:
btw, have you read Saint-Exupery’s Citadel? I read the back cover today and the first two pages in the bookshop, and I was absolutely amazed! had to buy it immediately. It’s so close to the kinds of matters that have been lingering on my mind recently. I couldn’t believe. really looking forward to reading it!

PS says:
Sounds intriguing. I’ve only read The Little Prince. Right now am reading Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell. Just the right amount of surreality to challenge the reader without overwhelming them with a bag of mixed words. And dream sequences that work!

Jitka C says:
yeah, I have only read The Little Prince too, which I liked very much, I even bought it a couple of months ago and keep it at my bed (not reading it every night, but now and then, it is nice to read a little passage). Today, I was just curious about what Exupery’s other works are like, and I got absolutely taken aback. To be honest, I have read practically nothing by the English-speaking

Jitka C says:
contemporaries. I am now in the middle of the third part of my beloved Bernieres, still!!!!, but I only have time to read on the metro, or bus, where I quite often fall asleep. But now since I don’t start that early at school anymore, I feel it is getting better

PS says:
Yeah, I read in pretty much the same places. These days I just pick books out of the library based on their titles, covers and opening lines. I think I told you that before. I really miss the libraries in Ottawa… sigh…

Jitka C says:
I am not a library goer at all, to be frank, I rather get into a bookshop than into a library, and unfortunately, I’m not a big reader either for objective reasons, which I feel quite as a handicap. Power nap is unscrupulous whenever it fancies…

PS says:
I think that’s what I need – more power naps…

Jitka C says:
the 20 minute journey on the bus from Beroun to Prague on the motorway is ideal…

PS says:
Definitely better than the 20 minute journey from Blackbridge to the centre – I don’t dare fall asleep on the B-line. The C-line, however, is something different.

Jitka C says:
don’t have any experience with C line napping, but see you’re quite fussy about your sleeping place, me is not that faddy

PS says:
I guess I am – the B-line’s got older metro trains, you know with the benches so you don’t get your own seat the way you do on the newer C-line trains. Christ, I sound like an old man…

Jitka C says:
not at all, now I see, I was wondering what was so scary about B-line. you are right about the old trains, I didn’t think of that since I almost exclusively use B and A, the latter having the new seats only sometimes. So I have grown fully accustomed to the bench snuggling… including VERY exceptionally leaning on a neighbour, or having someone else doing the same to me

PS says:
I don’t think I’ll ever get accustomed to bench snuggling, cramming, nudging… anything bench for that matter. The only good seat is one that’s at either end of a car, where one of your neighbours is either the front or back of the car, know what I mean?

Jitka C says:
you mean the three seat bench, where one has, if catching the place in the corner, there is some extra triangle-shaped place to put a bag or something? that is the one I always go after when getting on at Zlicin, and it must be along the side which doesnt open, then you don’t get any draught, which is quite a significant fact after you have spent over 30 minutes of your precious time with a hair-dryer in front of the mirror trying to tame your head growth

PS says:
Yes, there always is a kind of race for those seats – I can sense it every time the metro pulls up. I used to be kind of competitive, now I don’t really pay it as much mind. The other advantage of those seats is you don’t usually have to give them up to the elderly or the handicapped. Having your nose buried in a book helps a lot in this respect.

Jitka C says:
exactly!!!a lot of know how we have in common, hope you are not going to spread it around too much in your blog, or something!

PS says:
Funny you should mention that – I was just going to ask you if you’d mind if I use this conversation verbatim for today’s entry. I simply haven’t had time to write anything over the last few days…

Jitka C says:
have smelled the blogging for quite some time, intuition, as I am coming to conclude from one experience after another, seems to be my big helping hand. i have just one problem: afraid that I won’t have anywhere to sit since, the triangle extras will be continuously occupied by some English-speaking folks!

PS says:
Ah, don’t worry – I don’t have that much of a fan base

May 31, 00:55 (Filed under: )

« Scanning; Prague Zoo | A (kind of) farewell to tofu: Giving up vegetarianism »

1. hey Patrick,
    I like this random random conversation.

The fact that I drive to work is having a huge impact on my reading, so I’m thinking of catching the bus (it’s going there anyway) and reading those books I’m trying to hold myself accountable to.

And for something equally random (and spooky) try this:

It’s very scary how spot on he is.

Have a great weekend. May it be sunny, your beer cold and your friends near. And while we’re handing out blessings, may my bat be wide and my score be high. Read that however you’d like to.

Cheers
    Richard

(When i come to Prague next I’ll try not to nick the good seats just in case Jitka misses out on a plum spot).
    Richard Body    Jun 10, 17:27    #